Chronicles of Steele: Raven Episode 1 by Pauline Creeden

Chronicles of Steele: Raven: Episode 1 - Pauline Creeden
This fun steampunk-inspired fantasy series is set in an alternate universe that I want to visit.

In Episode 1, we are introduced to Raven, who was trained as a reaper. In Raven's fantastic world of steam-powered horses and other gadgets, reapers were part of the duke's elite guard, working in the capacity of bodyguards and assassins. But, to keep reapers humble, they were required to save a life for every one they take as an assassin.

The adventure begins when an out-of-control metal horse carrying a young boy, careens of of a bridge. In the right place at the right time, Raven doesn't hesitate to save the boy's life, whom she later learns is a baron. With a curse upon him, Raven takes on the challenge to protect him and find a way to lift the curse.

I always find it amazing when an author crafts three-dimension characters in a compact story, and Pauline did an impeccable job with this one. I feel as if I've known Raven her entire life, and watching her speed and dexterity when taking on the guard makes me feel like a proud mama.

This novella is exceptionally well written (and edited), and filled with adventure and action at just the right pace. I need to mention the cover art as well. It's gorgeous, and perfectly complements this well written steampunk fantasy. I am very much looking forward to the next one in the series.

If you're a fan of steampunk, fantasy, and a tough, butt-kicking heroine, then you've got to read the Chronicles of Steel: Raven series.