First Impression by Pauline Creeden

First Impression: A Shadow Maven Paranormal - Pauline Creeden

The cover immediately got my attention. Everything about it drew me in, from the excellent color palette to the title treatment to the model’s expression. Then, I read the blurb, and I knew this book was for me.

First Impression is a perfect blend of paranormal and mystery, and characters with depth.

The story opens with a Harry Potter reference, which I find fantastic. At school, Chira is assigned the task of showing Ben, a new transfer, to his classes. He's quiet and mysterious, yet Chira finds herself attracted to him. As an outcast at school, Chira has only one friend, but Tasha is as loyal as they come. I imagine Tasha’s fierce loyalty stems from her rock solid home life with a close-knit, loving family.

It’s Tasha’s idea to meet a group of classmates at the old schoolhouse to check it out as a possibility for a Halloween party. After all, it’s supposed to be haunted. That’s where the mystery and fun begins. No spoilers here, though.
First Impression is a quick, clean read, and appropriate even for adolescents. It’s a perfect balance of paranormal and mystery, with just a dash of romance, which suits me just fine. I’m definitely looking forward to Shadow Maven #2, but I hope it’s just a bit longer so I can get my fix of Ben and his mysterious owl.

[I originally read this book in June 2014. I am in the process of transferring my blog contents.]