The Last Casket by Jack Wallen

The Last Casket (I Zombie) - Jack Wallen

Kitty Casket, lead singer for Kitty in a Casket, and her bandmates, were on their way to finally playing the A-list circuit. Then, here comes the apocalypse to "punch the world in the gut" and ruin their plans for dominating the music scene.

First, let me say how impressed I am that Jack Wallen took a generally depressing scenario of zombies in an apocalyptic world and turned it on its head. I actually laughed during times when the band members - who are as close to being siblings as you can get without shared parental lineage - poke fun at each other. Those moments seem real, not imagined and written down on paper. Kudos, Jack.

It's hard to believe there is so much hope and comradery in one group. They stick together and have this view of the world that is admirable. As Kitty says, "The mean streets of the apocalypse taught us everything we need to know. There's no way around it; you either kill or be killed."
And I'm a fan of Tom's one-liners and some new phrases Jack cooked up, like "cannibal paradise" and "straight jacket clown-house festival from Hell." And a zombie prayer that I won't spoil for you.

This zombie book didn't take itself too serious, and I really like that about it. We still get beautiful zombie gore and kick ass battles. Not to mention two different kinds of zombies - moaners and screamers - which makes for an interesting battle for survival.

[I originally read this book in June 2014. I am in the process of transferring my blog contents.]