A Pale Horse by Adam Wolf

A PALE HORSE - Adam Wolf

This apocalyptic tale, the first book in a series, has potential. Which is why I was disappointed with the details of the bowel movement starting on the first page. If those unnecessary details were left out, and the reader could focus more on the creepy scene in the rest stop restroom, the scare factor would have been higher.

Had I not been consciously trying to block out the image of Eugene and his bowel movement, I could have appreciated was probably the most tense scene of the entire book.

The descriptions, including the stench of death, were powerful. I always appreciate writers using the sense of smell to pull a reader further into a scene. The book was well paced, and I found myself on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what Eugene would do when he encounters this mysterious item. The characters were three dimensional, and even in this short introduction to this series, I already felt invested in their lives. And, of course, their fates.
I look forward to Book #2; however, I hope I won’t have to read about anyone doing their bathroom business.

[I originally read this book in March 2014. I am in the process of transferring my blog contents.]