Kingdoms of the Dead: Chemical Rot by Ian Woodhead

Kingdoms of the Dead: Chemical Rot - Ian Woodhead

Ian Woodhead conceived a story marrying rotting zombies and intelligent sci-fi that is mind-blowing!

First of all, I love the cover design. I wanted to read this story before I read one word of its description.

As far as pacing goes, this book kicks butt. It is nearly non-stop action, so buckle up before you start reading. There were moments, however, especially in the beginning, when I wasn't sure which character's story we were seeing because there are characters with the same name from different worlds. Doppelgangers, if you will. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it, so I'll leave it at that.
I've got to say this is one of the most creative zombie books I've read in recent years. By merging rotting zombies with a sci-fi element, Ian created a beautifully ugly world. A world where the living must take a drug to prevent undergoing "the ultimate change from living human to dead monster with an insatiable craving for fresh meat," because the living are already infected.

Though filled with selfish and cruel characters, there are brave and loyal characters as well that I couldn't help cheering for.

I am pitching my tent on the sidewalk so that I am first in line when Book 2 is available.

[I originally read this book in March 2014. I am in the process of transferring my blog contents.]