Flyblown and Blood-Spattered by Jarred Martin

Flyblown and Blood-spattered: 10 Tales of Terror - JARRED MARTIN

I wanted to love this collection of supernatural horror shorts. The description guaranteed to shock my senses and rattle my nerves.

Salley Gardens was my kind of horror short. A beautiful garden surrounding a hideous house with a creepy old man who talks about his friends who live in the flowers. The end was just strange enough to be pleasing.

The Throne didn't start out appealing simply because I have no desire to read about someone desperate enough to shit in a crock pot. But I can't deny that I like where this story went with warlocks and spirits.

Habeas Corpse is one of my favorite shorts of the collection. It even had a moment where I chuckled. But that was before the crazy instrument of justice was introduced by the even crazier district attorney Corrigan.
Nothing but the Blood started out gruesome enough to get my attention. The story was a bit slow in the middle, but the end made up for it with Przemek's revelation.

Headless Thalidomide Baby was such a strange story all the way around. Although I've never done acid, I imagine this story would be the literary result of the hallucinations it may bring.

Maybe it's just me, but the meaning of Hyperborean Feller, if there was some type of meaning, eluded me completely.

Stud was a disappointment because it started on the right track. But, in a society that is so progressive and forward-thinking, I find it hard to believe insemination would be performed in such a carnal and "old-fashioned" way.

A Serpent's Tooth is my favorite short of the collection. This is what horror short be. From the creepy old man with yellowing fang-like teeth and his dilapidated antique store to the terribly malicious boy who visits with his mother, to the creepy, yet satisfying end.

It Came from Peach Island was a scary short that made me think, "classic horror." When I go to the beach this summer, I have no doubt that this frightening story will make me think twice about what's in the water.

Lead Lobotomy was a ride through Crazy Town. I didn't make the connection between the new organ that was supposed to help Mr. Martel, and his cure in the end.

The entire collection could use a proofread to correct poor punctuation and grammar, like use of the non-word, irregardless. Regardless, I still found a couple of stories that will stick in my brain and probably surface during my dreams. But, isn't that what horror is supposed to do?

[I originally read this book in February 2014. I am in the process of transferring my blog contents.]