State of Decay by Peggy Martinez

State of Decay: Omnibus - Peggy Martinez

I read these novellas as they were released, but I am combining my reviews here because Part One is not available on BookLikes. I averaged the ratings of the individual novellas to reach my overall rating of 4.5 stars.

Part One - 4 Stars

I am a huge fan of zombie fiction, and State of Decay nails it!

I have had the State of Decay novellas on my "to-read" list for quite some time now, and I'm glad I finally pushed them to the top of the list.

This novella jumps right into the action, and doesn't give you a breather until you see the words, "The End (of the beginning)."
Though it has quite a few spelling and grammatical errors that can be easily corrected with a simple proofread, they don't overly distract from the plot.
I love that the main character is sassy and a kick-ass girl, thanks to the training she got from her military dad. It makes her comfort with a handgun strapped to her leg and an M4 slung across her back more believable. She is strong, yet vulnerable in some ways, and so very likeable. It's impossible not to cheer for her to survive, because she "... wasn't going down without a fight."

Peggy Martinez's writing is perfect for this length of book. She gets to the point, and leaves out all the unnecessary words. Yet her descriptions of the scent of rot and decay like "an oversaturated blanket of smog" are most interesting.

I find it fascinating when an author describes a scene with so much detail that I find myself in the midst of the sights, sounds, and even scent of the setting. I love being transported to their imaginary world. Peggy Martinez did that for me, and I am looking forward to reading all of the novellas in the State of Decay series in the next few days!

Part Two - 4 Stars

Melody Carter is my new hero! She walked into the street like she wasn’t scared of anything and yelled at the zombies, “Come get some, bitches!” I can’t say enough about our heroine, Melody. I’ve loved her kick-ass attitude from the moment I met her in Part One.

I adore Peggy Martinez’s writing—the gory details, from the “stench of the putrid bodies, hot and bloated by the summer sun” to rotten fluids seeping out of zombie skulls.

In Part Two of State of Decay, we learn the origin of the virus. Peggy Martinez crafted a fascinating—and terrifying—story to the virus’s source as a jungle parasite. I’m not a doctor or a scientist, but it seems a believable enough story. That’s what makes it terrifying. The irony of how our technology mutated the virus—a technology created to heal us—is not lost on me.

The spelling and grammatical errors bother me, but that’s only a minor distraction to the overall great writing and characterization.

If you’re a fan of zombies like I am, then you’re in the right place. Grab this novella—after you grab Part One, of course—then go grab Parts Three and Four, too.

Part Three - 5 Stars

I finished the third novella in this series in as many days, and I cannot wait to read the final book!

I cannot say it enough - the State of Decay novellas are the perfect compact stories. Peggy Martinez packs so much into such a short space, and does it so well. Each time I finish one, I'm excited to move on to the next. She wraps them up very nicely; I don't feel like she has lopped a story in half at all.

And, as always, I love Peggy Martinez's descriptions of the rotting zombies, and she doesn't let me down as "blood and carnage rained down in sheets around us."

This one was a doozy as far as plot goes with so much going on that I couldn't stop reading if I had wanted to...which I in no way did.

I love the theme of Part Three: What is the point of surviving if you lose your humanity in the process? What does everything matter if we let ourselves turn into a different breed of monster?" Thought-provoking questions in a world of undead monsters.

Part Four - 5 Stars

Wow, what a terrific series!

Though all four parts are in need of a proofread to catch some minor spelling and homophone issues, the writing is superb! I'm amazed at how much character and plot Peggy Martinez fits into these novellas!

One of the things I like most about this last novella in the series is the chapter titles. You'll have to read it for yourself, but I thought they were clever. Each of them brought a smile to my face, even amidst the zombie killing chaos.

State of Decay is filled with more action than you expect, of course lots of zombie gore, and characters you can really connect with. And some you love to hate.

I love a good series that leaves me feeling satisfied, and Part 4 wraps up nicely. Though there is still some heartache and loss in this last novella, we're left with a feeling of hope. What more could you ask for in a zombie apocalypse?

State of Decay is easily in my Top 10 list of favorite zombie reads.

[I originally read these novellas in January 2014. I am in the process of transferring my blog contents.]